Receiving payroll update problems appears intimidating because it could cause the payroll processing to stop entirely. One such payroll update error that occurs when the user attempts to install payroll updates is QuickBooks Error 12002. QuickBooks prompts the user to apply the most recent payroll updates while they are still trying to fix Error 12002. Several factors contribute to this failure, including improper Internet Explorer settings and firewall configuration. To resolve the problem, QuickBooks advises checking the Internet Explorer settings. The extra troubleshooting procedures to fix issue 12002 in QuickBooks are listed further in this post.
What Is QuickBooks Error Code 12002?
A functioning internet connection is necessary for QuickBooks Payroll to obtain the most recent payroll tax information needed to process payroll. If the internet connection is weak, several distinct error codes, including QuickBooks error code 12002, occur. Usually, when the internet connection is down or QuickBooks cannot connect to the internet for some reason. This problem sometimes appears with a QuickBooks Update Error window. In addition to being displayed underneath the QuickBooks update window. Here is a copy of the QuickBooks payroll update error 12002 message-
“QuickBooks Update Error
Error 12002: A network time out preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- Check your internet connection set up in QuickBooks from the Help
- Then go to Internet Connection Setup from menu selection.
- Now check that your connection is set to use your computer’s internet connection.
Before understanding how to troubleshoot QuickBooks Desktop error 12002, let’s first understand what causes it.
Reasons Why QuickBooks Code 12002 Occurs?
Knowing the causes of error code 12002 is also helpful because it will enable you to identify the fault’s precise root cause. For example, the list of all known reasons for QuickBooks error code 12002 is as follows:
- QuickBooks cannot connect to secure websites due to the Windows Firewall security system.
- Setting configuration errors in Internet Explorer.
- Internet Explorer is not your default web browser.
- Installing QuickBooks Desktop encounters errors.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 12002?
You can resolve “QuickBooks Error Code 12002” in several ways. Additionally, we’ve included a few of them below to assist you in finding a quick solution:
Solution 1: Check The Internet Connection
- Click Help in the QuickBooks program after opening it.
- By clicking on it, you can inspect the Internet Connection Setup.
- Setting up a QuickBooks Internet Connection
- Ensure the connection is configured to use the internet connection on your PC.
- Click Next, followed by Done.
- Update once again to confirm that the error has been fixed.
Solution 2: Change Internet Explorer’s settings
- The Gear symbol is located in the top right corner of Internet Explorer.
- After choosing Internet Options, go to the Security tab.
- Make sure the security is not set to High by clicking the Globe icon.
- Choose the Automatically Detect Settings checked from the LAN settings section and deselect the Use a Proxy Server checkbox.
- Type in the correct port number and address.
- Ensure you don’t uncheck the Use a Proxy Server box if the settings indicate that port 80 should be used.
- Go to the Advanced tab after clicking OK.
- Scroll down to the Use TLS 1.2 checkbox, Restore Advanced Settings, and click OK.
- Make sure the Use TLS 1.2 checkbox is selected.
- Click “OK” after selecting OK, close Internet Explorer.
- Restart Windows, then try again to execute the payroll update.
- Continue to the next troubleshooting step if QuickBooks Error 12002 continues to occur.
- Select Never Dial a Connection under the Connections menu, then hit OK.
Solution 3: Add the QuickBooks Firewall Exception Port to Windows.
- Type Windows Firewall into the Search Programs and Files search box by clicking the Windows Start button.
- On the list, select Windows Firewall at the top.
- Click the right mouse button on Inbound Rules after selecting Advanced Settings from the left pane.
- Select the appropriate Port after selecting New Rule.
- As soon as the TCP is chosen, click Next.
- According to the version of your QuickBooks Desktop, type the appropriate Port.
- The port number for QuickBooks 2019 is 8019, for QuickBooks 2018- 56728, 55378-55382, and for QuickBooks 2017, it is 56276, 55368-55372.
- Select Allow Connection, then press Next.
- Carefully tick the boxes next to each profile in the pop-up window.
- After entering a name for this new rule, click Next.
- To configure the Outbound rules, click Finish and then go through the same procedures.
Solution 4: Check Security software
Sometimes security antivirus can stop QuickBooks desktop updates from starting. We advise you to put it on hold for the time being. Take 30 minutes, for example, and then attempt to update QuickBooks, payroll, etc.
Still Facing QuickBooks Error Code 12002?
QuickBooks errors like 12002, 12009, and 12007 are likely to occur while trying to download QuickBooks payroll or updates. If you take all the actions mentioned earlier, you won’t get QuickBooks Error Code 12002 again. But just in case, you still get QuickBooks error code 12002 during installation times. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our professionals. Call QuickBooks at their helpline number, or leave a message for us.
You may even like:
QuickBooks Error Code 6000 80 QuickBooks Error Code PS038 QuickBooks Error Code 6177 QuickBooks Error 1904 QuickBooks Error 12057 QuickBooks Error Code 12052 QuickBooks Error 12157