QuickBooks code 12031 is one of the error codes from the 12000 error code series. It shows that a user is having difficulties updating the program’s payroll service or QuickBooks software. As a result, updating QuickBooks will become a daunting task if you do not fix this error. This article provides comprehensive solutions to fix QuickBooks error code 12031. We’ll also include all the error’s potential causes.
What is QuickBooks Code 12031?
While updating or installing QuickBooks Desktop, Payroll, New Features, Maintenance Releases, and Accountant, you could get the QuickBooks code 12031. When a user encounters such a problem, the screen displays the QuickBooks error message 12031. The primary cause of the error is a complex network connectivity problem. Your Firewall may be preventing the software from running for security reasons. QuickBooks must contact the Intuit server to receive an update. You will notice error code 12031 if for any reason, it is unable to establish a connection with the server, pausing the ongoing update process.
QuickBooks shows the following error message:
“Error 12031: A network timeout preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
“Solution: Check your internet connection setup in QuickBooks from the Help->Internet Connection Setup menu selection. Verify that your connection is set to use your computer’s internet connection.”
The error appears along with the solution, but sometimes this solution is not enough to rectify this error. So we have explained some other solutions to fix this error in the later section of this article.
List Of Other 12000 Series Error
Other errors of the QuickBooks 12000 error series also show similar effects. These errors also state that a user may experience hindrance when updating the QuickBooks. Some of these errors are-
- QuickBooks Update Error 12002
- Error 12029
- QuickBooks Error 12009
Many distinct error codes, like QuickBooks error codes 12002, 12029, 12009, and 12007, are displayed whenever the internet connection is down. Or when QuickBooks cannot connect to the Internet for some reason. This problem sometimes appears with a QuickBooks Update Error window.
Causes Of QuickBooks Code 12031
There are several potential causes for QuickBooks code 12031. But the most frequent ones are given below:
- Internet connectivity problems are among the most frequent causes of the error 12031. But these problems are also the simplest to resolve.
- Network timeouts or lost Internet might potentially interfere with software updates.
- Sometimes QuickBooks is flagged by your Firewall as a security risk, preventing it from connecting with the server.
- An additional potential cause of the update problem is incorrect SSL settings.
- Ensure that Internet Explorer is your primary browser. It may prevent QuickBooks Payroll update problem 12031 from occurring.
Solutions For QuickBooks Error 12031
The troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks error 12031 is basically resolving the dangerous factors that cause this error. Let’s have a look at how you can rectify error 12031-
Solution 1: Verify Internet Connection
You can choose to connect to the Internet using this method. Take these actions:
- In QuickBooks, select Internet Connection Setup from the Help menu.
- Mark the radio button for “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings” in the new Window.
- To complete the process, select Next and then select Done.
- Try updating QuickBooks once more to see if the QuickBooks code 12031 has been resolved.
Solution 2: Exclude QuickBooks From Firewall Blocking
You must alter Firewall permissions for QB if the Firewall is blocking communication with the server. You must do this by removing QuickBooks from Firewall’s list of prohibited programs. The steps listed below can help:
- Go to the Start icon. Type “Firewall” into the box that appears.
- Locate Windows Firewall and continue by clicking.
- Select Allow a program/feature through Windows Firewall from the menu.
- Click Change Settings on the following screen to make changes.
- Now select the QuickBooks checkbox to let it pass through the Windows Firewall.
- Try updating QuickBooks again.
Continue to the next step if QuickBooks Desktop update error 12031 remains.
Solution 3: Steps To Follow When Error Occurs During QB Update
You should try the steps listed below if you encounter QuickBooks error 12031 while updating the QuickBooks payroll service:
- Select Internet Properties after Internet Connection Setup.
- To move ahead, select the Advanced option.
- After making sure the advanced settings are compatible, click Apply.
- To complete and shut the Window, click OK.
- Once you’re finished, restart QuickBooks. Now go through the QuickBooks Payroll service update process once more.
If following the steps doesn’t work, move on to the next suggestion to fix Intuit QB error code 12031.
Solution 4: Update In Windows Safe Mode
You should download QuickBooks in safe mode when third-party programs start interfering with the updating process. It will help prevent unwanted interventions.
- Initially, open Safe Mode on your PC.
- Try downloading an update for QuickBooks.
- If the update can be downloaded, Restart your computer in normal mode, then download the latest QB update.
Solution 5: Reconfigure Internet Explorer Settings
- Activate Windows Explorer on your computer.
- Select Internet Options> after you click the Tools menu.
- Click the Globe icon under the Security tab.
- Select Content next.
- If the content advisor suggests it, disable it. To disable it, you must input the password.
Follow the instructions below after selecting the Connections tab:
- Pick Never Dial a Connection if you aren’t using the dial-up node (DUN).
- Select the appropriate ISP, then click OK.
- Clear the Automatically detect settings checkbox under LAN settings.
- Click OK on the LAN settings screen.
Perform the following actions once you are on the Advanced tab:
- Choose Restore Advanced Settings.
- Find the options- Use TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2.
- Tick the Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 options.
- After selecting OK, shut off Internet Explorer.
- Restart the computer.
Need More Assistance To Fix QuickBooks Code 12031?
After following the above troubleshooting techniques, you’ll be able to get rid of QuickBooks code 12031. But, if you still need technical help, you can connect with the QuickBooks helpline number. You can also contact our team of experts, who will be more than happy to help you.