A regular QuickBooks user is familiar with the glitches and errors that occur while using the software. One such error is QuickBooks error 12009. You will most likely face this error while updating payroll or QuickBooks desktop. Reasons for this error are various but so are its solutions. In this article, we will learn all about QuickBooks error code 12009. Read till the end to find the best effective solutions.
What is QuickBooks Error 12009?
QuickBooks error 12009 is an error of 12000 error series. When a user attempts to update Quickbooks desktop or payroll services, a problem- QuickBooks error 12009, during installation appears. Quickbooks error code 12009 is one of the numerous problems you could experience if you can’t connect to the internet. This issue occurs because the update installation is stopped or interrupted due to suddenly lost internet connectivity. Users cannot perform their tasks since QB can start acting strangely. Sometimes, a third-party application like an antivirus or firewall program can also cause this error.
Reason Why QuickBooks Error 12009 Occur
There are numerous causes of QuickBooks error 12009 in QuickBooks, other than an unstable internet connection. The following are some typical causes of QB error 12009-
- An unstable internet connection that affects the QuickBooks’ functioning is the leading cause of QuickBooks error 12009.
- Web browser settings could potentially result in the error (Internet Explorer is not the default browser).
- A disruption caused by the firewall or antivirus software on the computer.
- Misconfiguration of the SSL settings is another possible cause.
List Of QuickBooks 12000 Series Error
Some other QuickBooks errors from the 12000 error series can occur while updating QuickBooks or payroll services. These could be the following-
- QuickBooks Error 12002
- QuickBooks Error 12007
- Error 12031 in QB
- QuickBooks Error 12029
When QuickBooks can’t connect to the internet for any reason, these errors arise and cause hindrance in updating. You can solve these errors and QuickBooks error 12009 with the solution explained below.
Thing To Do Before Resolving QuickBooks Error 12009
You are generally advised to back up the company file before attempting to fix Quickbooks issue 12009. To create the backup of the company files, you can take the following steps-
- Open QuickBooks software.
- Navigate to File Menu.
- Now select the Backup Company option.
- Finally, choose “Create Local Backup.”
You’ll have the company file backup. And you’re ready to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error 12009.
Solutions To Fix The QuickBooks Error 12009
The situation in which the error occurred determines how to troubleshoot it. Try these different solutions to fix the QuickBooks error 12009-
Solution 1: Review the Internet Explorer settings
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the Run command window by pressing Windows+R on your keyboard.
- Now type INETCPL.CPL, and then click OK.
- Make sure the security level of this zone is Medium-high; for this, you can click the Internet symbol under the Security tab.
- Now select LAN settings by clicking on the Connections tab, and tick the box next to Automatically detect settings.
- Additionally, ensure that the box labeled “Use a Proxy Server of Your LAN” is unchecked and, if checked, enter the appropriate address and port.
- Now click OK.
- Click the Advanced tab and then move your mouse to the security section.
- To make sure Use TLS 1.2 is chosen, click OK.
- Restart your computer now.
- Restart QuickBooks Desktop and attempt the update installation.
Solution 2: Set Internet Explorer As Default Browser
Internet Explorer is critical for QuickBooks’ functionality. For example, the program could misbehave if the default browser is not configured to Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to the top-right corner of the screen in Internet Explorer.
- Choose Internet Options from the drop-down menu by clicking the Tools button.
- Tap on the Programs tab.
- Go to the Default Web Browser section.
- After clicking Make Default, click OK.
- Open your browser again, then visit QuickBooks to see if error 12009 is still there.
Solution 3: Verify The Security Software
Security software may occasionally make it impossible for QuickBooks desktop to upgrade. You might want to check to ensure it’s not preventing QuickBooks from accessing or launching its file. You can follow these steps-
- Open the Control Panel.
- Locate Windows Firewall.
- Choose the “Allow program via the firewall” message.
- Choose the software that the Windows Firewall needs to accept.
- Hit “OK.”
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks with Selective Startup
- A Run box will appear when you simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard. Type MSCONFIG into this box and then click OK.
- The selective startup should be selected under the General tab.
- The option to load startup items should not be ticked.
- Then press OK.
- Whenever prompted, select Restart Now.
Now Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop after uninstalling it-
- Go to the control panel.
- Get to the programs and features option.
- Tap on the uninstall tab. Then from the list of programs, pick Quickbooks.
- Select the Yes option.
- Click on the Remove button on display.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the Quickbooks uninstallation.
- Insert the Quickbooks installation CD at this time. You’ll see a wizard install QuickBooks.
- Choose Next and accept the terms and conditions.
- Insert the product number and license number.
- To start the Quickbooks installation, click Next.
- Open Quickbooks after the installation is complete.
Solution 5: Return To The Normal Startup Mode
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows+R.
- Type MSCONFIG into the box and click OK.
- Choose “Normal Startup.”
- Click Apply now, followed by OK.
- Restart your computer now.
Solution 6: Download and Install QuickBooks Manually
- Close down the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Visit the Download and Update page for QuickBooks.
- Choose your country, product, and version after that.
- Press “Search”
- Select “Get the most recent updates” (will be available below to download button). Depending on the file’s size and the internet’s speed, the download may take some time.
- Click the downloaded file (.exe) once it has finished downloading.
- If prompted, select Yes. Then, to start the QuickBooks update, follow the on-screen directions.
Is QuickBooks Error 12009 Still Continued?
After following these solutions, you can fix QuickBooks error 12009. Don’t hesitate to contact a professional if the problem persists after completing the above mentioned procedures. You can speak to our experienced team as well and solve your queries.