An issue with QuickBooks can be a frustrating experience. One of the most common errors is QuickBooks error 12157. It usually occurs when a user updates an existing account. There are many factors why this might happen. These include incorrect application installation or problems with data connectivity. Unfortunately, this error can cause problems in QB operations. And you might not use some features of the QuickBooks desktop application. The following article will review some of the most common reasons why this error might occur. Read till the end to get the solutions for how to fix it.
What is QuickBooks Error 12157?
While updating the QuickBooks desktop, sometimes QuickBooks Error 12157 occurs. The most common causes of Error Code 12157 are wrong date/time and internet settings. But, there could be other factors causing this error to appear. For example, the QuickBooks error 12157 is one of the 12000 series errors. So, issues with Microsoft Win32 or Win net API in the Windows operating system may have caused this problem. The FTP, HTTP, and Gopher internet protocols, as well as others, are run by the QuickBooks accounting software using this API. QB error 12157 can be a pain point for your business, as there is no shortcut to fix this error. You can find detailed solutions to fix this error later in this article.
List Of Similar Errors Like 12157
There are many similar errors like 12157. And they occur because any application that requires an update needs to download the update file from the internet. And failure to do so leads to problems and the termination of the update process. All Windows apps impact this, not just accounting programs like QuickBooks. And there could be several causes of your computer’s internet connection issues.
The 12157 update error is a member of the 12000 error series. And these errors are similar, and you could run across them while updating QuickBooks Desktop.
Here is the list of similar errors that you may experience-
QuickBooks error 12007
When a user attempts to update QuickBooks or modify the QB payroll service function, Error 12007 occurs. However, your PC’s inability to access the internet is another potential cause of this issue. You may check out our QuickBooks error 12007 blogs to understand how you can troubleshoot it.
QuickBooks error 12031
When updating QuickBooks Desktop and its extra features, QuickBooks error 12031 arises. For example, a user may get several update difficulties when executing the QuickBooks update. It’s also a QuickBooks 12000 series of errors resulting from internet connectivity.
QB update error 12057
QuickBooks error 12057 also occurs when a user tries to update the payroll feature of QB. Internet connection issues, Windows Firewall, and third-party antivirus apps can cause this error. But, like any other error, you can also troubleshoot it.
QuickBooks payroll update error 12029
When a user attempts to upgrade the Payroll function or QuickBooks Desktop application, this issue occurs in the software. This happens when Windows operating system bugs and configuration issues prevent QuickBooks from connecting to the internet.
QuickBooks error 12002
When QuickBooks cannot access your computer’s Internet connections, error 12002 appears. But, a network timeout or a slow internet connection may cause this. Fortunately, there are many solutions to QuickBooks problem 12002.
Signs Of QuickBooks Error Code 12157
QuickBooks Error code 12157 could make it difficult for you to perform your actions. But you can eliminate this error if you understand the signs and causes of this error. Many signs and symptoms will show QuickBooks error 12157. These could be the following-
- The first sign of this error is a message popup of error code 12157 with a warning. Or crashing the window system will appear on your screen.
- Another warning message you may receive could be from Firewall and internet security software.
- The date and time of your system may appear wrong automatically.
- While updating QuickBooks, your internet may cause hindrance.
- You may receive notifications from internet security apps.
- This error also causes the system to crash or freeze without any particular reason.
These signs and symptoms on your system are of QuickBooks error 12157.
What Causes QB Error 12157?
Various reasons can cause QuickBooks error 12157. It’s essential to understand each of them to resolve the error effectively. These are the possible reasons why error 12157 in QuickBooks occurs-
- Various framework conflicts, PC registry issues, and Active X issues can occur.
- Some Firewall programs and Internet security software restricted configurations can also be one of the causes.
- Numerous versions of the QuickBooks accounting software on the same computer system.
- Specific Internet or Protection apps may surface while updating the desktop version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Another cause could be web protection programs.
Solutions For QuickBooks Error 12157
Following these solutions will help you eliminate the QuickBooks error 12157. Read the explanations in detail and try carefully one by one-
Solution 1: Restore The System
This is one of the solutions that you can try to fix error 12157 in QuickBooks. Follow the below-mentioned steps to restore the system-
- The step first includes ensuring you log in as the system administrator.
- You must select the start icon and the all accessories option.
- Select the appropriate option under the computer tools menu to restore the system.
- You will now have the opportunity to reinstall the system in a new open window.
- Choose the advanced system option and select the restoration location.
- You must restart the system after you have verified all of the activities in the prompted windows.
- If the error in QB is still there, try to update the QB application once more and proceed to the following technique.
Solution 2: Change Internet Connection
A disrupted internet connection is one of the main reasons for this error. Adjusting your internet connection becomes the topmost priority. Perform the following steps to do so-
- Open the Chase banking website to check your safe internet connection.
- If you can’t access Chase banking, you won’t be able to update QuickBooks. Then it would help if you got in touch with the Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance and Help.
- If you can see the Chase banking page, click Internet Connection Setup under Help.
- Select the “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to create a connection when this application accesses the Internet.”
- Now, click the Next button.
- Now click on the Advanced Connection Settings menu.
- Next, Choose the Restore Advanced Settings option under the Advanced tab.
- Next, select OK and then Finish Restoring Advanced Settings.
- Now, update QuickBooks software.
Solution 3: Check the computer’s time and date settings
- Click on the clock in the computer’s lower right corner with the right mouse button.
- Then select the Adjust Date/Time option.
- Select Change date and time, and then type in the current date and time.
- Click the OK key to continue.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop after closing it now.
- Lastly, upgrade the QuickBooks Desktop program.
Solution 4: Change the settings on your Firewall or internet security
QuickBooks may be unable to get the most recent QB upgrades due to restrictive Firewall or internet security settings. That is why you need to add QuickBooks and related files as the exception of the Firewall. You must correct these incorrect settings to enable connections via port 10172 for incoming and outgoing traffic. Verify that your Internet connection is unbroken for other files like QBDBMgrN.exe, QBW32.exe, and FileManagement.exe. When you’re finished, update QuickBooks to see if the error 12157 is still bothering you.
Did These Solutions Help in Fixing QuickBooks Error 12157?
We hope you can quickly fix QuickBooks problem 12157 using the troubleshooting solutions from this post. But somehow, if you still can’t seem to fix the error, we tell you to call the QuickBooks desktop helpline number for better help. You can also contact us if you are unsure how to fix update error 12157 or if you need professional help.