QuickBooks has become top-rated software for invoices and accounting purposes in the past few years. Top-tier companies prefer this software for its feasibility and simple operating system. Being such crucial software QuickBooks running slow can be a big problem and it hampers productivity. There can be multiple reasons that can cause QuickBooks’ desktop slow response.
Let’s look into the variety of performance issues caused due to QuickBooks running very slow-
- POS stop responding when using QuickBooks Point of Sale
- When opening a company file in multi-user mode, QuickBooks does not respond.
- When entering transactions or exporting reports, QuickBooks Desktop freezes.
- A blue circle continues to spin while updating, rebuilding, or backing up data.
- QuickBooks stops responding to any command
Why is QuickBooks running slow?
There can be multiple reasons due to which QuickBooks is running slow and each issue has a different method to fix it. Let’s look at the causes-
- Using an old version of QuickBooks
- The computer fails to meet the basic requirements
- QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or missing.
- System hard drive is corrupted
- Program files or QuickBooks Desktop installation are damaged
- The window operating system is damaged
How to fix the slow QB problem?
QuickBooks have a variety of aspects that can cause a poor response. There are multiple ways by which one can correct these issues. Let’s look at all the possible solutions for it-
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop Application
This is the most basic yet most missed-out solution. There are regular updates that boost the performance of the software. If you don’t update your application on regular basis, they start lagging over-
- Under the File tab, click Close Company/Logoff to exit QuickBooks.
- Select Exit from the File tab
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and select Run as Administrator.
- Click the Help tab and select Update QuickBooks when QuickBooks displays No Company Open.
- Under the Options menu, select Mark All and then Save.
- Now select the Reset Update checkbox from the Update Now menu.
- Once QuickBooks displays Update Now, click Get Updates and exit the application.
- Restart your computer once all of the updates have been installed.
Solution 2: Rename QBWUSER.INI File
QBWUSER is a very important file but can also be a major factor causing QuickBooks Desktop slow response. Many times system compatibility runs out and it can change with changing the last part of the name-
- Press Windows + E keys and open Windows File Manager
- Go to folder C:\ ProgramData\ Intuit\ QuickBooks.
- Ensure windows are set to Display Windows Hidden Files
- Locate the QBWUSER.INI file and right-click it.
- Click on Rename and add .OLD at the end of the file name.
- Run QuickBooks Desktop again after saving the file name
Solution 3: Condense the QuickBooks file size
Large file sizes can make it difficult for the processor to work and thus slowing down the response for the system. Condensing it can surely help in processing it faster-
- Right-click on the company file in the QuickBooks company file folder.
- Click on properties and check the file size
- If your company file size is more than 150 MB and you’re using QuickBooks Pro, you’ll need to use the QuickBooks Condense Data Utility to shrink it.
- When you use QuickBooks Enterprise and your company file size exceeds 1 GB, the same rule applies.
- Open QuickBooks and go to the File tab to condense the company file.
- Under the utility section, select Condense Data.
- Mark the option “Keep all transactions, but remove audit train info to date” with a checkmark.
- Wait for the message “Your company file has been successfully condensed” to appear before clicking Next.
- Close QuickBooks and start it up again. If QuickBooks is still taking too long to load, proceed to the next step.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
There are times when a part of your files gets corrupted. This might be because the application was downloaded from an illegal website. Reinstalling it from the official website will ensure you a smooth less experience when using the application
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official Intuit website
- To complete the installation, open the setup file from your computer’s downloads folder and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Launch QuickBooks Tool Hub through the application icon.
- Select QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from the Program Installation Issues tab.
- Install a fresh copy of the QuickBooks Desktop application, run the tool.
- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop on your Windows computer using the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
Solution 5: Speed up in Multi-User mode
At times the application slows down in Multi-user mode because your system fails to keep up, follow these steps in this case-
- In the Search Tab, type “Performance.” Select the Green Arrow by clicking on it.
- Select Help from the QuickBooks menu and then Search.
- Select the “Improve Performance” option in multi-user mode.
- When multiple users access the same company file at the same time, the performance of QuickBooks suffers a minor setback.
Solution 6: Ensure your system configuration
If after all these solutions, your system fails to run QuickBooks smoothly, there is a high possibility that your system isn’t compatible enough to smoothly run it. These are the basic requirements for QuickBooks-
- The minimum Intel Core 2 Duo processor speed is 2.4 GHz, but an upgraded version will suffice.
- At least 4GB of RAM
- 5GB free disc space after installation
- Good internet connection
- 1280 x 1024 screen resolution
- The system should be running on Windows 7 or above
- Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2011, or 2008 R2 SP1 are required for server installation.
These are our few solutions that should surely work if your QuickBooks is running slow and freezing. We hope you found these solutions useful and will solve your issue. The above solutions will keep your data absolutely safe and secure. In case these solutions don’t work out for you, try contacting Data Repair Service team at +1(800)-578-0315 and we will guide you through it.